Can Gums Grow Back After Laser Gum Contouring Surgery?
Are you considering laser treatment to improve the look of a gummy smile? If a significant amount of gum tissue shows when you smile, or you have an uneven gumline around your teeth, you may be a good candidate for a laser gum contouring procedure. At Trusted Dental Care, skilled laser dentist Dr. Fesaha Gebrehiwot often performs gum reduction treatments to help Wylie, TX patients achieve a balanced, sculpted gumline and a wider, more attractive smile. While this treatment appeals to many men and women, it may leave you wondering about the longevity of its results. Can gums grow back after laser gum contouring? Dr. G explains this process and what you can do to maintain your cosmetic gum surgery results.
BENEFITS OF LASER FOR GUM REDUCTION PROCEDURES
Like many technological advancements in dentistry, the use of laser for gum sculpting offers numerous advantages to the treatment and healing process, as well as the quality of the results. Laser gum treatments may benefit patients in the following ways:
- Offer a minimally invasive procedure
- Enhance treatment comfort
- Reduce the need for incisions and sutures
- Provide a faster treatment process
- Allow for quicker healing and less recovery time
- Minimize bleeding and inflammation
- Lower risk of post-treatment infection
HOW LASER GUM CONTOURING WORKS
When performing laser gum contouring for Wylie, TX patients, Dr. G may first numb the gum tissues. He will then use the BIOLASE® soft tissue diode laser to gently remove overgrown tissue from around the teeth, exposing more of the underlying tooth structure, or to reshape uneven gum tissues. This can help make the teeth look more proportional within the smile while establishing a more aesthetically pleasing ratio between the teeth and gums. In some cases, Dr. G may also need to contour the underlying jawbone to achieve the desired results. Removing a small layer of the bone can also help keep the gums from growing back. As the laser works to gently sculpt the gumline, it cauterizes the gum tissue, helping to control bleeding and initiate the healing process.
MAINTAIN GUM HEALTH AFTER LASER GUM REMOVAL SURGERY
In many cases, a gummy smile or excess gum tissue is the result of genetics, gum inflammation, overgrown gum tissue due to medications, or tooth movement (such as that due to orthodontics). Dr. G recommends the following tips to help you keep your gums healthy and maintain your results after gum reduction surgery:
- Brush gently but thoroughly at least twice each day with a soft bristle or electric toothbrush.
- Floss your teeth on a daily basis, taking special care to reach as far beneath the gumline as possible to remove plaque and bacteria.
- Avoid chewing on ice, pens, and your fingernails. If you think you may be grinding your teeth at night, Dr. G may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth, gums, and other oral structures.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings and exam visits at Trusted Dental Care as recommended by Dr. G. These may be more frequent for patients who have gum (periodontal) disease.
IS COSMETIC GUM SURGERY RIGHT FOR YOUR SMILE?
At Trusted Dental Care, Dr. Fesaha Gebrehiwot and our team want you to have a smile that makes you feel confident and proud. If you have a gummy smile, excess gum tissue, or an uneven gumline, you may be a good candidate for laser gum contouring surgery at our Wylie, TX office. Schedule a consultation with us today, and explore whether this advanced laser option can help you get the smile you’ve always wanted!