How Often Do You Need to Switch Out Your Invisalign Trays?
A straight, beautiful smile can make you feel more confident at work, on dates, in photos, or at school. If you hide your teeth or you want an easier way to manage your oral health, Invisalign® could address your concerns and discreetly improve your smile. Each custom-made, clear aligner helps straighten your teeth and treats a misaligned bite. At Trusted Dental Care in Wylie, TX, Dr. Fesaha Gebrehiwot has provided tips on changing your Invisalign trays. Please read through our helpful tips for a rejuvenated smile and call us if you have any questions.
How does the Invisalign process work?
Dr. Gebrehiwot will start by creating a personalized treatment plan and taking digital images of your upper and lower arches in Wylie, TX. Once we have your images ready, we send them to a lab that specializes in Invisalign trays. When ready, patients come back in to try their first set of trays. We will provide detailed instructions on use and how to care for them. For Invisalign to be effective, you need to wear them 20 hours every day. You should remove the trays only for eating and cleaning. Every 1 – 2 weeks, you will need to change to a new tray. Each set of aligners will help shift the teeth into their correct position. Patients should attend follow-up appointments every 4 – 6 weeks, so Dr. G. can check on the progress. Throughout your treatment, you will want to carefully manage your Invisalign trays and practice good oral health habits to help your teeth straighten.
Our top five tips for caring for your Invisalign trays
In addition to changing to your new trays every 1 – 2 weeks, we recommend a series of good habits to encourage good oral health and proper teeth alignment. These include:
- Maintain a calendar for changing out your trays. Using a calendar will help you keep track of when to change your trays and schedule follow-up appointments.
- Insert new trays at night. New trays will cause your teeth to feel sore. This means that they are working! Wearing new trays at night will reduce some of the soreness you might feel throughout the day. For the first few days of a new tray, we recommend using over-the-counter pain medicine to decrease the discomfort.
- Manage your diet. Because the treatment requires you to remove your tray when eating, we recommend avoiding snacking. Instead, try to wear your trays throughout the day. Of course, if you have diet constraints provided by your physician or dietitian, please follow what works best for you.
- Drink water. Your trays will cause you to salivate a lot more, so it’s essential to stay hydrated.
- Carry a retainer case. Every time you eat, we highly suggest placing the trays within your case. A retainer case will prevent you from accidentally throwing the trays away.
How long does it take for aligners to work?
By following our tips for care and wearing your trays for 20 hours a day, the treatment can take about one year to complete. However, the amount of time depends on the original position of your teeth and your needs. Dr. G. will discuss the amount of time needed for your treatment and guide you through the process. Please let him know if you have any questions.
Schedule an appointment to learn about clear braces
If you want to straighten your smile with the ease of Invisalign trays, please schedule an appointment with Dr. G. at Trusted Dental Care in Wylie, TX. Dr. Fesaha Gebrehiwot will gladly discuss the benefits of Invisalign trays and help you throughout your treatment plan.